Sunday, March 28, 2010

parents and spring break

We are coming down from the elation of having my parents here for two weeks. It was so great. We loved being able to spend our days, our school, or new home with them while they were here. We got to take them around the country and to see some sights. It worked out well because many of the things we did were things Christi and I had not done yet. My parents both got to spend time in the classroom which was so much fun. Christi's sister, husband, and a friend of ours from Portland came down and we got to spend a little time with them too. Just before my parents left we spent two amazing nights relaxing at lake Kivu near the Congo border (we actually walked to the border and took a few pictures). I was ready for a break and to get out of town. It was such a refreshing time. My parents took Mili for a night and let us have a date too.


I am getting ready to do report cards and send them out this week. I am amazed at how much my students have learned. It is amazing what happens when you have parent involvement and small class sizes. It has been a lot of fun to get to be a part of this and to have this experience. The student who I have been tutoring is making slow progress, but will be able to finish the year out. I'm almost embarrassed to say what his reading level is because in the States he wouldn't be considered a concern. With his language level he wouldn't be much of a worry. I'm hoping to get him very close to or at grade level by the end of the year. Our spring break starts on Friday. We are planning on taking the bus up to Burundi for about a week. It's always fun to hang out with family there and get away for a bit. It will be Genocide Week here in Rwanda. Everything shuts down and we are told it is very quiet and somber- understandably.


Christi has been pretty tired lately. She took it easy this weekend and it seemed to make a big difference. We are hoping that she can cut back a little and take some more breaks during the week so she has the time to take care of herself and the baby. Mili is as cute and fun as always. Our friend Lisa who has babysat a few times for us taught her “If You're Happy and You Know it.” She sings and does the motions. It is about the cutest thing I've ever seen. We are going to try to take video of it. Maybe we can get my brother-in-law to help us out with that when we see them at the end of the week. She doesn't have all the toys and distractions that she would probably have in America so she is becoming quite creative in making toys and games. Stroller hockey is the newest one she has come up with. We played it for quite some time yesterday and had a good time. Picture it in your mind- whatever you are imagining- it's better. I hope you are all doing super well. Look forward to catching up with you in just a few months.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the news. Always nice to get up to date with you 4.

    ReplyDelete