Monday, September 7, 2009
First day of school
Today I got up around 5am. Mili still half thinks the night is day. She was up for about an hour last night. A great way to start off the first day of school. I went in and looked around my classroom until the kids came. April, who has been subbing for me last week came in today to help me get my bearings. It was great to get to know my kids and start teaching, even though I didn't feel ready. They are really great. The school day here is pretty long compared to what I'm used to and it is still early in the year for first graders who are used to half days from Kindergaten. It all went really well and April took my class to recess, lunch, and PE so I had time to work in my classroom. Lisa, who we are staying with, is doing reception at the school for now so I carpooled with her. Everyone was really friendly at school. The headmaster even offered to take over my class in the afternoon so I could have some extra time to rest. I wasn't going to feel ready or settled until I had some time to set up and get into the curriculum so I stuck around. I was pretty tired by the end of the day, but it felt good to be teaching. When I got home Christi's sister Trina was there visiting. We chatted a while and then she took us out to dinner at a coffee shop/restaurant called Bourbon. It is Rwanda's answer to Starbucks. It might even be nicer and the coffee was at least as good. It felt very American. Not exactly what we had in mind for our first meal out, but it was really tastey and fun to hang out with Trina. I'm pretty wiped out so I'm off to bed. It was a good day. I hope I have enough energy to take the wheel tomorrow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
nice work my brutha, sounds like it was a full day. I personally am banning Bourbon, going on 7 months straight. I can't believe trina took you there... i'm going to have a talk with her. that's final. Plus I gotta tell Myal. He's not going to be happy.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the update and this is to let you
ReplyDeleteknow that the prayer closet is open for business.
Brother
Darell
just a note to say i've been thinking of you & your family a lot this week. we had a great first day at HOP but we miss you! sounds like you are starting to get settled in- i enjoy reading your posts. i will continue to pray for your family and your class.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for taking the time to post and let us know what it's like for you there! Love you so much!
ReplyDeleteHi Cutest Teacher in Kigali
ReplyDeleteYour posts are awesome. I printed the pictures to show my class. This year my class is divided by continent groups. It will be nice to have some "real time" African pictures to show them. If it is okay with you I will let them know I can email you and or your class to get answers to their questions about Kigali Africa. Now for a few of MY questions...will you be hanging anchor charts on the walls as you prepare them? Is there a chalkboard or a whiteboard? Do you have the standard curriculum like we use in the states or do you create your own? Love and hugs to you and the Fam!